Dawn Princess

Dawn Princess
Sailing the Seven Seas

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Auckland... Wellington... Home

Quote of the day: “Make sure you finish your blog off properly. Don’t just leave it hanging at the last port like some people do.”

After a late night last night saying goodbye to friends around the ship (all except Mr Gadget Man, who unfortunately was down with sea sickness) it was a rude awakening at 5:30am as the booster engines rumbled down below, signaling our arrival in Auckland. It was even ruder to discover it was a mere 11°C outside… I decided to stay in my cabin to watch the sail in.

There was time for a final breakfast in the dining room before disembarking, but not time for coffee and a crossword. I queued up one more time to drop my cruise card into the slot, collected my bags inside the terminal, then made my way across the road to meet a young friend I’ve known for a long time (does that work for you, K?). She kindly dropped me off at the airport, and before I could seriously catch up on any sleep, I was back in Wellington.

A quick unpack, then off for a decent coffee and scone in one of my favorite cafes. Wonderful! I then sat in the sun on Oriental beach, listening to my iPod, and savoring the view. It might not be Deck 7 on the Dawn Princess, but it comes pretty close…

To finish, a few random observations and comments, which others thinking of a seriously long cruise may find helpful:

1. To be successful, it requires effort and commitment. If you are traveling with a partner or spouse, make sure you both have the same level of commitment. Compromise might work for a 7-day cruise, but not for over 3 months.

2. Do breakfasts in the dining room. The omelets are to die for.

3. Avoid the laundry. It’s a hotbed of unfounded rumour and discontent!

4. Talk to the crew as equals, and get to know them. They are lovely people, and over time you will hear some amazing stories.

5. Try to make friends with people who are different to your friends back home. This will enrich your experience.

6. Take some tours from the ship where they are the best option, but do you own thing sometimes too. Do your homework before you leave so you know what you want to see and do.

7. Chill. You’re on a cruise ship, and at sea. Shit will happen, as it would in the same period of time at home. And once you start moaning, it’s a downhill spiral…

8. And if you do need to complain about something, do it with a smile and you may well find you get a better result.

So thank you everyone for your interest in my blog. Thank you for your comments, emails and for stopping on board to talk about it. It’s been fun to write - all 72 posts of it...

That’s all folks… “Live long and prosper.” I’m so glad I got to see that movie again!

5 comments:

  1. Philip,

    Many thanks for your most interesting blog over the past 80 days.
    I (and,I am sure, many others) have enjoyed reading your great descriptions of the places you have visited and your on-board experiences (especially "Quote of the Day").
    The most I have ever sailed on one trip is about 45 days and that was about 40 years ago, so I would be very interested on your reflections after you have settled in to "normal" life again.
    For instance, would you do an 80-dayer again, what would you differently etc?
    I know i have something of a nerve to ask such questions when I have not responded to your blog whilst you were on your journey, however, I feel many would appreciate your views.

    Best wishes for the future.
    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philip,
    Thank you for the wonderful blog which I have been religiously following everyday. It's been interesting to read your thoughts and experiences of your time on this cruise and comments on your ports of call. You have my kind of humour!!
    All good food for thought for those of us who are contemplating doing what you've just enjoyed.
    Thanks again.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Philip. A daily fix we are going to really miss.

    Ray & Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog Philip, I concur wholeheartedly with your final comments, especially about the crew. They are more than equals as far as I'm concerned as they perform jobs much better than anything I could do, and smile cheerfully in the face of rude passengers. They work 10 months straight without a day off - mostly working 12 hours a day. Hope you settle in to the real world somewhat better than I did. Took me two weeks to feel 'normal' and I only did half the world cruise.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really agree with your final comments! Should be hung on every door! Great blog, thanks.

    ReplyDelete